Biweekly Friday ministry that provides belonging and conversation (along with a warm meal, hygiene supplies and a chance for respite) to our neighbors experiencing homelessness around Chicago. On the second, fourth and fifth Fridays of the month, guests are welcomed into the church basement to gather around tables, inviting them to share food and to also share their stories. This ministry began in 2009 with a mission to serve up to 15 guests and has grown substantially since then, serving up to 40 guests in one night. The ministry has been sustained through God’s grace and countless volunteer hands. Contact us to get involved!
Join us in serving our neighbors through any (or several) of the following ways:
- On the Thursday evening before the second Friday of each month this group gathers to prepare a meal for warming center guests who come on Friday. This group has become a wonderful space for people in our community to share life while also serving our warming center guests. The more the merrier!
- Additional volunteers to prepare and cook the fourth and fifth Friday meals each month are also needed. If your gifts include hospitality and cooking, let us know!
- Clothing items. We welcome lightly worn clothing donations throughout the year that fit the following criteria: Men’s sizes S-3XL Women’s sizes S-2XL Blue jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, belts, sneakers, backpacks, raincoats Winter coats, gloves, boots, hats, wool socks, long underwear and scarfs are also welcome, while in season.
- Make a charitable donation. You can also support the Warming Center ministry through a charitable gift online. Your support provides each guest with basic hygiene supplies and a warm meal on Friday evenings.
- Friday evening volunteers get to know guests through casual conversation, handing out supplies, and sharing a warm meal. After guests depart, a short time of cleaning follows.
- Lead volunteers are responsible for guiding the volunteer team on the Friday evening of the Warming Center. This person arrives early and helps manage the flow of the evening.
- We need help ordering supplies for our guests. If you have a knack for finding online deals and can put together an online “Check Out Cart,” please consider this volunteer role.
Summer volunteer hours (June - September) are 5:15-7:45 pm
Winter volunteer hours (October - May) are 5:15-8:15 pm